The Firm is committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all our clients. When something goes wrong we need you to tell us about it. This will help us to maintain and improve our standards.
Our complaints procedure
If you have a complaint, please contact Charles French, our Senior Partner, with the details.
What will happen next?
1. We will send you a letter acknowledging your complaint and where necessary asking you to confirm or explain the details. We will also let you know who will be dealing with your complaint and provide you with the contact details for the Legal Ombudsman with the postal and web addresses of that organisation. You can expect to receive our letter within 3 working days of receiving your complaint.
2. We will record your complaint in our central register and open a file for your complaint. We will do this within 2 working days of receiving your complaint.
3. We will then start to investigate your complaint.
Charles French will investigate your complaint, including speaking to the person in the Firm who acted for you and reviewing your file. He will then send you our detailed reply or invite you to a meeting to discuss the matter. He will do this within 10 working days.
If Charles French acted for you, the investigation will be carried out by Allison Bunney who is one of the Directors.
4. If you would like to have a meeting to discuss and hopefully resolve your complaint, we will arrange this within five working days of your request.
5. Within two working days of the meeting we will write to you to confirm what took place and any solutions we have agreed with you. If you do not want a meeting or if it is not possible, we will send you a detailed reply to your complaint; this will include our suggestions for resolving the matter.
6. At this stage, if you remain dissatisfied, you can let us know. We will then arrange to review the decision. This may happen in one of the following ways:
- Charles French (or Allison Bunney) will revisit and review his own decision within five working days
- The Partners will review Charles French’s (or Allison Bunney’s) decision within five working days
- We will ask our local Law Society or another local firm of solicitors to review your complaint. We will let you know how long this process will take
- We will invite you to agree to independent mediation. We will let you know how long this process will take
7. We will let you know the result of the review within five working days of the end of the review. At this time Charles French will write to you confirming our final position on your complaint and explaining our reasons.
8. If you are still not satisfied with our decision at the conclusion of the complaints procedure you may refer the matter to the Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton WV1 9WJ
- Telephone 0300 555 0333 between 9.00 and 17.00
There is a time limit for referring the matter to the Legal Ombudsman which is generally within 6 months from the end of our Firm’s complaint procedure and no more that 6 years from the date of act/omission; or no more than 3 years from when you should reasonable have known there was cause for complaint.
If we have to change any of the timescales above, we will let you know and explain why.
9. What to do if you are unhappy with our behaviour:
The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic.
Visit their website to see how you can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.